Sunday 1 July 2012

The Table

I love mexican food. And not just because it's Melbourne's current hot cuisine! I got introduced to it about 12 years ago now! It was a Mexican restaurant where I first met my mother in law Jul's. I can't recall what I actually ate? But I do remember getting a large strawberry margarita ordered for me, and I was so nervous that I ended up head in the toilet bowl by the end of the night! 

But my first bad experience didn't put me off. My love of mexican food grew so much that I'd say its probably now my fav cuisine. Ok. well maybe its a tie with Italian! 

So when I got my weekly email from Scoopon the other week listing their weekly deals, I liked the look of a deal for 'The Table'. A mexican inspired restaurant in St Kilda, owned and run by Chef Jame's Blackman. After checking out the restaurants website, and of course the reviews on urbanspoon, I decided we'd give 'The Table' a try. 

Our booking was on a cold, dreary wet Saturday night. So when we peered through the window we were excited to see that the restaurant was a small intimate dining room, with a nice warm homely feel. Unfortunately where we were seated wasn't so warm. We were at a table right by the front door. So whenever anyone went in and out of the restaurant a gust of freezing cold wind would come right towards us. 

But even though our seats weren't great, the food definitely made up for it! 


Corn Tortillas w A Variety Of Salsa's & Guac




First we started with the home made Tortilla chips, with a variety of salsa and Guac. The Tortillas were so fresh and crisp. I haven't tasted anything quite like them before. I think some were corn, and the brown ones I'm guessing were a combination of corn & bean? I loved having the variety of different salsas. My favourite one had a smokey bacon sort of flavour to it! But I also loved dipping into a few of the different salsas to mix the different flavours. Yum Yum!


Corn Battered Snapper w Pico de Gallo, Avocado & Coriander Taco




I went for the Snapper Taco. Although two bites and it was gone. It was delicious. The batter on the fish was super crispy, and it paired well with the smooth avocado puree, and the creamy sauce drizzled over the fish. The squeeze of lime juice added just the right amount of freshness too. 


Anejo Glazed Pork Belly, Jalapeño w Cream Frainche & Chipotle Salsa Taco




My hubby had the pork taco and loved it. I was lucky enough to get a tiny nibble. The pork was glazed in a sticky sweet marinade which was soo good I want to try and re-create it at home. 


Scallop Ceviche & Preserved lime, Agave, Jalapeño, Toasted Almonds & Coriander served w Corn Tortillas




Now I'm not normally a fan of raw fish. But I have been starting to dabble in ceviche. And I am now totally converted since trying this scallop ceviche. What I loved about this dish is that it wasn't just about the scallop. The dish was designed to pile a crispy tortilla with all the many elements on the plate. Combined, the many flavours were so fresh and flavourful! This dish was a definite winner for me. And if your not normally a raw fish eater give it a try! You might surprise yourself. 


Pork Loin Glazed With Agave, Orange & Chipotle. Stuffed w Apricot & Goats Cheese. Roasted Baby Fennel & Butternut Squash Puree




I had the Pork loin dish for my main, and unfortunately I wasn't in love with it. The pork was a little too pink for my liking, and I felt the dish as a whole was lacking flavour. However I loved the filling of the goats cheese & apricot. I also loved the roasted Fennel. I've only ever had fresh fennel. But loved the deeper flavour it gives off when roasted. 


Charred Swordfish, Tamarind & Agave Chutney, Smoked Bacon, Green Beans, Brandade & Salsa Verde




Hubby went for the swordfish main. He really enjoyed it. The fish was cooked perfectly, and the beans were fresh and crunchy. 


So as a whole I'd definitely recommend 'The Table'. Just make sure that if you decide to give it a try, you request a table to the back of the dining room! Unless it's a nice sunny summer day of course! And any table would be just fine!

The Table Address: 
49 Fitzroy St, 
St Kilda

Out Of Pocket:
Corn Tortillas w Salsa's & Guac: $15
Corn Battered Snapper w Pico de Gallo, Avocado & Coriander Taco: $5.50
Anejo Glazed Pork Belly, Jalapeño w Cream Frainche & Chipotle Salsa Taco: $5.50
Scallop Ceviche & Preserved lime, Agave, Jalapeño, Toasted Almonds & Coriander served w Corn Tortillas: $14.50
Pork Loin Glazed With Agave, Orange & Chipotle. Stuffed w Apricot & Goats Cheese. Roasted Baby Fennel & Butternut Squash Puree: $34.50
Charred Swordfish, Tamarind & Agave Chutney, Smoked Bacon, Green Beans, Brandade & Salsa Verde: $32.50

The Table Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment